About Sanctions Watch
Sanctions Watch documents people subject to anti-corruption sanctions across the world and analyses sanctions as a tool against corruption.
Anti-corruption sanctions regimes included
At the moment, Sanctions Watch documents designations made under the following anti-corruption sanctions regimes:
- Canadian sanctions under the Freezing Assets of Corrupt Foreign Officials Act
- Canadian sanctions under the Justice for Victims of Corrupt Foreign Officials Act
- EU misappropriation sanctions (Ukraine, Tunisia)
- Swiss asset freezing sanctions under the Foreign Illicit Assets Act (Ukraine)
- UK sanctions under the Global Anti-Corruption Sanctions Regulations
- US sanctions under the Global Magnitsky Human Rights Accountability Act
You can download the database of individuals sanctioned under these six anti-corruption regimes in the form of an excel file here
Sanctions of Russian individuals following the invasion of Ukraine
Sanctions imposed on politicians, high-ranking army officials and businessmen from Russia after Russian invasion of Ukraine includes many individuals with unexplained wealth and who are suspected of corruption. However, these individuals are targeted by sanctions due to reasons linked to threatening territorial integrity of Ukraine and not for their involvement in corrupt practices in Russia or elsewhere. For that reason Russian designations made in relation to the invasion of Ukraine are not explicitly included in Sanctions Watch. However, more information about these designations can be found on several other databases, this includes:
- Sanctions Tracker by Brookings
- Tracking Sanctions against Russia by Reuters
- Nowhere to Run
Additionally, Russian Asset Tracker by OCCRP attempts to ‘track down and catalogue the vast wealth held outside Russia by oligarchs and key figures close to Russian President Vladimir Putin’.
This website is updated every six months and, therefore, might not always be an exact representation of sanctions lists of respective jurisdictions. The last update was performed on 20th December 2022.
We strive however to make the information on this website as accurate and up to date as possible and if you notice any inaccuracy or any information that could be added, or if you have any questions, please write us at email@example.com.